At Southridge Tech Middle School, the influence of AVID extends to special events such as our much-anticipated College and Career Day. Supported and organized by AVID, this day offers a unique opportunity for students to explore potential career paths and gain insights into different college experiences. It's an exciting occasion filled with interactive discussions and presentations from a variety of professionals.
In addition, our students are grouped into 'college teams,' reflecting our commitment to fostering a collegiate spirit from early on. These teams compete in various activities throughout the school year, promoting camaraderie and friendly competition. These activities not only fuel the students' ambition but also build essential skills such as teamwork, critical thinking, and leadership.
As we weave AVID strategies into every facet of our educational journey, from day-to-day classroom learning to special events, Southridge Tech Middle School consistently promotes a culture of aspiration, preparation, and success. Our students are given every opportunity to prepare for high school, college, and beyond, turning their dreams into achievable goals.
WICOR Strategies School-wide
W = Writing -
- Writing serves as a key tool for learning, communication, and critical thinking. Activities in this domain include crafting CER paragraphs and essays, conducting peer edits, and utilizing the PaperTutor program.
- Additionally, the Focused Note-Taking (FNT) process and tutorials enhance writing skills, supporting clear thinking and understanding.
I = Inquiry –
- Inquiry is about exploring understanding, formulating critical questions, and engaging in thoughtful learning and discussion.
- Here, students delve into International Baccalaureate (IB) units, employ Costa's questioning techniques, participate in project-based learning, and engage in discussions such as Socratic Seminars and Philosophical Chairs debates.
C = Collaboration –
- Collaboration fosters a sense of shared responsibility, and encourages the exchange of ideas, opinions, and information.
- Collaborative activities include tutorials, group projects, peer editing, and innovative methods like Jigsaws, World Cafe, and Reciprocal Teaching. Engaging discussions and debates, as well as Collaborative Study Groups (CSGs), further enhance the spirit of teamwork.
O = Organization –
- Organizational skills encompass managing materials, setting goals, and planning strategically to control learning.
- Students use AVID Binders, student handbooks, and agendas to manage their work. They learn time management and goal setting, and use the FNT process, Interactive Notebooks (INBs), CSGs, and tutorials to stay organized.
R = Reading –
- Reading is about comprehending and interpreting text and other media interactively. Students practice close reading and summaries, engage in FNT and annotations, and participate in discussions, debates, tutorials, and CSGs.
- Techniques like SQ3R (Survey, Question, Read, Recite, Review) and KWLAs (What I Know, What I Want to Know, What I Learned, Action) further improve reading skills.
By honing these skills through the WICOR approach, students develop the necessary tools to succeed academically and personally, embodying the AVID mission of college readiness and success in a global society.
In 7th and 8th AVID Elective
Welcome to the AVID Elective Class at STMS, a transformative experience for our 7th and 8th graders. Our mission in AVID aligns with the vision to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Our AVID class offers a unique structure, designed to build not only academic skills but also leadership capabilities, with an emphasis on preparing students for future educational pursuits. You will be part of a dynamic learning environment that encourages high expectations, and with the supportive AVID framework, you will soar to meet these challenges.
Your journey with AVID will involve engaging in the tailored AVID curriculum every Monday and Wednesday. This curriculum, based on strict standards, is a product of teamwork between middle and high school teachers and college professors. It employs the WICOR method — Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading — to cultivate your critical thinking, probing questions, and study skills.
Tuesdays and Thursdays are reserved for tutorials, where you'll work collaboratively with peers and receive guidance from college tutors, guaranteeing your success in core classes. This tutorial model is part of the FNT (Focused Note-Taking) process that reinforces knowledge and promotes concept retention.
And the excitement doesn't stop there. Fridays are dedicated to Enrichment activities. This can include guest speakers sharing their experiences and expertise, team challenges to foster collaboration and problem-solving skills, and even virtual or in-person field trips to broaden your horizons.
AVID Binders are another integral part of this elective, aiding in organization and ensuring success. You are encouraged to maintain an organized binder, updated weekly, that will serve as a reference point and portfolio of your learning journey.
In the AVID Elective Class, you will not only elevate your academic skills but also develop crucial relationships with your peers and mentors. As you progress, you'll become a beacon of success, a role model inspiring your fellow students.
So, prepare to embark on a journey that combines the CCR (College and Career Readiness) Framework, WICOR strategies, and AVID methodologies, building a solid foundation for your future. With AVID, college is more than attainable — it's a definite goal. Get ready to become the leaders of tomorrow. Welcome to AVID at STMS.