Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
AVID is a college preparatory program designed to enhance and expand the student population eligible for admission to the University of California and the California State University system.
- To provide students with academic instruction and other support in preparation for eligibility to enter a four year college or university.
- To improve students' study and organizational skills.
- To guide students in completing the "A-G" University of California requirements.
- To motivate AVID students to seek a college education.
- To increase students' level of career awareness.
- Learning with college tutors
- Writing for all classes
- Developing success strategies
- College application counseling
- Preparing for a professional career
- Visiting college campuses
- Interacting with guest speakers
- Financial aid and scholarship counseling
Who May Participate?
Students who have the potential and desire to attend a four-year college and....
- have appropriate classroom behavior.
- have between a 2.0 and 3.5 GPA have a good attendance record.
- have good work habits.
- are willing to commit themselves to do homework each night as assigned by their teachers.
- are willing to commit to enrollment in a rigorous college preparatory sequence of classes.
AVID Contacts for School Sites:
A.B. Miller High School Julie Orrison-Myrehn (909) 357-5800 Fontana High School Dawn Costa (909) 357-5500 Jurupa Hills High School Kelly Navas (909) 357-6300 Kaiser High School Dave Ungerer (909) 357-5900 Summit High School Steve Jennings (909) 357-5950 Alder Middle School Debbie Christopher & Julie Rosenthal (909) 357-5330 Almeria Middle School Lisa Alexander (909) 357-5350 Fontana Middle School Jason Duguay & Pam Sullivan (909) 357-5370 Ruble Middle School Andrea Annesser (909) 357-5530 Sequoia Middle School Christine Clark & Lisa Hayes (909) 357-5400 Southridge Middle School Cindy Gray (909) 357-5420 Truman Middle School Patricia Rynearson (909) 357-5190