Schedule Change FAQs
Scheduling takes place for the following school year beginning in early to mid-February. Counselors meet with each student one-on-one to discuss their course options for the following year. Students will be guided with support from the Counselor on which electives to take based on the College/Career Pathways they have chosen. Fontana High enrolls all their students into A-G College courses. It is VERY IMPORTANT that students pass all their classes WITH GRADES OF C OR HIGHER so that they can continue on this path. If the student is not successful in passing all the classes, this can affect the classes that they want or need to take for the future, as well as, college acceptance.
- Schedule matching with friends
- Picking your teacher
- Adjusting your schedule for a lunch preference
- Designing the schedule in the order you wish to take the classes
- You did not complete the prerequisite for the class
- You have already taken the course and cannot repeat it
Please remember that sometimes a class that was requested may not be available because the course:
- had low enrollment and was no longer offered
- was full and there was no space
- had a pre-requisite class that was not taken
Counselors work very hard to schedule students in the courses needed and requested. Sometimes due to unforeseen circumstances, i.e. student has failed a course, course not offered, etc. Counselors must place students in other courses.
You may pick up a SCHEDULE CHANGE REQUEST FORM during YOUR LUNCH ONLY THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL for the following reasons only:
- you have a missing period or no class listed
- duplicate class or period
- class taken during Summer, 0 period, 7th period
- missing a class needed for graduation
- Change elective (based on availability)
- Change program (AP, Honors) - with approval only
PLEASE REMEMBER, A REQUEST FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE IS JUST A REQUEST. NOT ALL REQUESTS MAY BE GRANTED. COUNSELORS WILL EITHER PROVIDE THE STUDENT WITH A NEW SCHEDULE OR THE REASON TO WHY THE REQUEST WAS NOT GRANTED.