Porter will be a school site that successfully demonstrates research
proven instructional strategies to engage and support student learning.
This objective will be met through collective teacher efficacy/collaboration,
consistent classroom observations and evidence-based feedback. The
following are some examples and observable behaviors of what a Porter
classroom looks like:
• Inclusive seating arrangements.
• Collaborative student atmosphere.
• Explicit direct instruction during whole and small-group learning.
• Print rich environment-Rubrics and points of reference for students
• Provide opportunities for students to think about, discuss, and
• Engage all students in a variety of learning experiences that
accommodate the different ways students learn.
• Promote fairness, equity, and respect that values all individuals and
• Build on students’ life experiences, prior knowledge, and interests
to make subject matter relevant and meaningful to students.
• Ensure that goals for student learning promotes critical thinking
and problem solving.
• Establish learning goals that are set for individual students and /or
groups of students.