Work Permit Procedures

  • How do I get a Work Permit?


    Some Important Labor laws Relating to Minors

    1. Every minor must have a valid Work Permit.
    2. All employers must provide Worker's Compensation Insurance even for relatives and/or children of the employer.
    3. Minors may not drive a motor vehicle as part of their job duties.
    4. Minors may not begin work before 5:00 a.m. or work after 10:00 p.m. on a day preceding a school day.
    5. A minor may not work more than 8 hours per day under any circumstances.
    6. Violators of Labor Laws are subjected to intervention by the Labor Commission and a possible heavy fine.

    Entertainment Industry Work Permits

    Parent/Guardian Information and Instructions

    Note: The work permits for students to work in the entertainment industry are issued by the Division of Labor and Standards Enforcement (DLSE) Office, not by Fontana Unified School District.

    • The employer can give the student or parent/guardian the work permit application, or they can go online to download the application (new and renewal) and procedures (2pp) at:  (applications cannot be processed via fax).
    • The parent/guardian takes the application to their student’s high school, middle school or elementary school administrator, assistant principal or designated counselor who will check the student’s attendance, grades and health and fills out the form, attach their business card and imprint the school/district seal or stamp from the registrar’s office. Then the work permit application is returned to the parent/guardian to submit to the DLSE office for processing.
    • Applications can be mailed or delivered to: Division of Labor and Standards Enforcement (DLSE) Office, San Bernardino: 464 W. Fourth Street, Rm. 348, San Bernardino, CA 92401 – Telephone: (909) 383-4334. Office Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM; Mon. – Tues.; the processing time usually takes 1 to 2 weeks.
      • The student is not required to have an offer in order to obtain a work permit.
      • A social security number is not required on the application.
      • However, if there is an offer, the employer (production company) must provide a written statement via fax: (909) 383-6397 Attention: Entertainment Work Permit.
    • For same day work permit processing, the parent/guardian must go to the Van Nuys DLSE Office at: 6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Ste. #100, Van Nuys, CA 91401 – Telephone: (818) 901-5315. Office Hours: Mon. – Fri.; 9:00 AM – 12Noon and 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM.
    • There is NO fee to process regular work permits.
      • Except for a 10-day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit Application which is subject to requirements, has a $50.00 fee and is issued immediately; click on link:  and then go to Applications and click on: “10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit” ( which will take you to: 10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit
        • The parent/guardian must create a user account by clicking on “First Time User” located at the upper-right of the screen to create a user account and click the “Submit” button; once created, please note that you will automatically be logged out so log back in. •
        • Once you log back in, you should see three (3) links, click on the first link: “10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit Application”
          • Once you have agreed to the notice/consent, the screen will go directly to the application.
          • Fill-in the information and enter your credit card information, and then submit application; after which, you will receive an email within one (1) business day notifying you of the approval and is ready for printing.
          • Please note that this permit is temporary and, therefore, you will need to have applied for the regular permit before the 10-day expiration date.
    • Entertainment Work Permits expires every six (6) months and must be renewed

    Student Responsibilities

    • All students applying for a Work Permit must:
    • Maintain a good daily attendance record in all classes (per State guidelines).
    • Maintain a G.P.A. of 2.0.
    • Understand that student's grades and attendance will be monitored throughout the year.  If the student does not meet the above requirements, his/her work permit will be revoked.
    • Agree that school is the priority over work.

    Minors under the age of 18 may not work in environments declared hazardous or dangerous for young workers as listed below:

    1. Explosive exposure
    2. Motor vehicle driving/outside helper
    3. Coal mining
    4. Logging and sawmilling
    5. Power-driven woodworking machines
    6. Radiation exposure
    7. Power-driven hoists/forklifts
    8. Power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machines
    9. Other mining
    10. Power-driven meat slicing/processing machines
    11. Power-baking machines
    12. Power-driven paper products/paper bailing machines
    13. Manufacturing brick, tile products
    14. Power saws and shears
    15. Wrecking, demolition
    16. Roofing
    17. Excavation operation

    Volunteers Must Complete a Non-Paid Permit Form

    All students are required to complete the State B1-1 Form for Volunteer and Apprenticeship Programs. Form is to be turned in to the District Office - Building 1.

    If you have any questions about Work Permits, please contact the CTE Department at (909) 357-5000, ext. 29180.

Frequently Asked Questions about Work Permits

  • How long is the Work Permit valid?

  • Do I need a new Work Permit if I get another job?

  • How long does it take to get the Work Permit?

  • Are there requirements to hold a Work Permit?

  • What is the purpose of the Work Permit?

  • Who needs a Work Permit?

  • How many hours a week can I work with a Work Permit?

  • What is a Work Permit?