• Frequently Asked Questions

    Get answers to the most common student health & wellness inquiries we receive.  Click on a question below to view the answer:

    1. How can my child receive medication at school?
    2. How do I know if my child is too sick to attend school?
    3. How do you handle lice at school?
    4. What if I choose not to immunize my child?
    5. How do I update my student’s health information?

    1. How can my child receive medication at school?
      1. Education Code 49423 authorizes that any pupil who is required to take during the regular school day, medication prescribed for him/her by a physician, may be assisted by the school nurse or other designated personnel if the school district receives written permission from both the parent and the physician.
        • All medications must be brought to school by a parent or adult in the original labeled container.
        • All medication authorizations must be renewed each school year
        • Medication must be stored in the Health Office with the exception of asthma inhalers and epi-pens (if authorization to carry has been ordered by physician)
        • Medications must be brought into the Health Office by the parent/legal guardian and not by the child/student.
      2. If your child requires medication while at school:
        • Print the appropriate form from the list below
        • Sign the parent/guardian portion
        • Have your child’s physician complete the physician’s portion
        • Parent to return the completed form to the Health Office with the medication (original, labeled container required).
        • Medication Policy Letter (H19)
        • Physician Instructions - updated 4/14
    2. How do I know if my child is too sick to attend school?
      1. It is often difficult for parents to know whether their children are too sick to attend classes. Here are some general guidelines:
        • Keep at Home…if your child exhibits the following signs/symptoms:
          • Fever of 100 degrees (measured orally)
          • Vomiting ü Diarrhea ü Flu-like symptoms: body aches, fever, headache
          • Persistent coughing and cannot attend to instruction
        • Send to School…if your child exhibits mild signs/symptoms:
          • Ear infection, no pain
          • Eye infection (after 24 hours of treatment)
          • Minor cold, runny nose, cough, sneezing, sore throat
          • Infestation of scabies or lice (after 24 hours of treatment/all lice or nits removed)
          • Cold sores (sore should be covered if possible)
          • Strep throat (after 24 hours of medication)
          • Vague “I don’t feel good” symptoms
        • Before sending your child to school, be sure s/he is without fever, vomiting, diarrhea for at least 24 hours without a fever reducing medication (i.e., acetaminophen, ibuprofen).
        • Refer to Health Policy Guidelines (H-9).
        • See a Doctor…if your child is experiencing the following signs/symptoms, which may indicate a more serious condition:
          • Undiagnosed skin rash
          • Suspected eye infection
          • Flu-like symptoms: body aches, fever, headache
    3. How do you handle lice at school?
      1.  Criteria for exclusion: Visible active, adult head lice or nits (eggs). It is important for parents to notify the Health Office when they discover lice on their children. Your child will be excluded from school while you treat the head lice according to the guidelines below:
        • The designated school personnel will inspect the head of any student reasonably suspected of having head lice/nits as soon as possible.
        • If there are two or more students affected in any class, all students in the class shall be examined, and information about head lice shall be sent home to all parents/guardians of those students. Additional classrooms may be screened if students routinely change classes for instruction (i.e. reading/math groups).
        • We check close contacts (i.e., best friends, other siblings, or students living in the home) of the excluded student for the presence of head lice or nits(eggs) as soon as possible and send form H-41 home with contacts.
        • We inspect the heads of siblings of a student found to have head lice/nits (eggs). If siblings are known to be at another school within the District, the health assistant will alert the health assistant at that school.
        • You child may return to school when you bring your child to the school’s health office or the Comprehensive Health Clinic at the District office with a note from the parent /guardian verifying treatment, and reexamination by the Nurse or the Health Assistant, and shows that all head lice or nits(eggs) have been removed. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD ON THE BUS. A parent/guardian must accompany the child.
        • A Parent's Guide to Head Lice
        • FUSD Board Policy:  Head Lice
    4. What if I choose not to immunize my child?
      1. Effective January 2014, Assembly Bill (AB) 2109 requires documentation that health care practitioners have informed parents about vaccines and diseases. The following types of health care practitioners are ONLY authorized by law to sign the Personal Belief Exemption (PBEs) form:
        • Medical Doctor (MD)
        • Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
        • Nurse Practitioner (NP)
        • Physician Assistant (PA)
        • Naturopathic Doctor
        • Credential School Nurse
        • The parent, Legal guardian, or emancipated minor must also sign the documentation required to obtain a PBE. A Credentialed School Nurse is the only district employee permitted to provide a parent the required information regarding the risks of not being immunized. Please check with your individual school site as to when your school nurse is available for immunization counseling or follow-up with your child’s primary care physician.
    5. How do I update my student’s health information?
      1. Please call your child’s health office to notify the school immediately if there is a change in your child’s health condition or medication. Also, please notify the school in writing when communication changes in emergency contact information.