• Medication/Specialized Physical Health Care Services at School

    Medication Administration in Schools

    California Education Code 49423 authorizes the school nurse or other trained designated personnel to assist students who are required to have medication at school. Fontana Unified School District Board Policy and Administrative Regulation 5141.21 also provide guidance for this process. Before a designated employee administers any prescribed medication, the District must receive the following annually:

    • Physician’s Request for medication form signed by the physician and parent. The details for the name of the medication, dose, time, and route of administration must be included on the form as well as the contact information for the physician.
    • The medication must be brought to school by a parent or guardian in the original container with a prescription label.
    • All medication authorizations must be renewed each school year.
    • Medication must be stored in the Health Office, with the exception of asthma inhalers and EpiPens (if authorization to carry has been ordered by a physician) and the student has demonstrated the physical, mental and behavioral capability to administer the medication safely. •
    • The same process must be followed for over-the-counter medications to be taken at school.

    The parent of guardian must pick up unused medication at the end of the school year. Any medication not picked up will be discarded as recommended by the local health officer and OSHA guidelines.

    Specialized Physical Health Care Services at School

    These services include catheterization, gastric tube feeding, suctioning, insulin administration or other services that require medically related training are assisted by the school nurse or other designated school personnel trained in the administration of specialized physical health care.

    To view full content of California Education Codes, visit their webpage.

    If your child requires specialized procedures, including but not limited to over the counter medications, prescriptions medications and inhalers:

    1. Print the appropriate form from the list.  School Health Forms List
    2. Sign the parent/guardian portion.
    3. Have your child’s physician complete the physician’s portion.
    4. Return the completed form to the Health office with medication (original, labeled container required).
    5. No medication or procedure will be performed by personnel or student without the proper consent forms signed by parent and medical provider.