Fontana High School Celebrates Black History Month!
Did you know?
- Black History Month began in 1915, half a century after the Thirteenth Amendment abolished slavery in the United States
- The NAACP was founded February 12, 1909, the centennial aanniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln
- Black History Month is celebrated in February, the month that also celebrates the births of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln, who were widely celebrated by the Black community
- Phillis Wheatley was only 12 when she becuase the first female published African American author
- Martin Luther King Jr. improvised the most iconic part of his "I Have a Dream" Speech
- The 6888th Batillion was an all-Black, all-female unit of the military that delivered mail to WWII troops across England
- Betty Boop was based on a Black woman
- Jackie Robinson's brother was also an elite athlete