Become a Parent Volunteer!
Parent Volunteers have a tremendous impact on our schools and the education of our students.
They bring a special kind of enthusiasm to the classroom as they provide support and assistance to our teachers.
First off, check with the school site to make sure they are accepting volunteers
at this time.
If they are, complete a Volunteer Authorization Form and return the form,
along with proof of TB Test Results (must be within last 60 days) to the school
site administrative approval. Once the school site administrator has
approved the form, he/she will forward the form to Classified Human Resources.
Depending upon the type of volunteer assignment, fingerprints may be required.
If fingerprints are required, the volunteer will be contacted by Human Resources.
Once the volunteer has been approved by the Board of Education, the
department/school site will be advised of the date the volunteer can begin
Types of Volunteer Assignments:
- Standard Volunteer (under direct supervision) - does not
Assists at a site on a regular or semi-regular basis (includes
parents who observe/visit child at school on a regular basis and
stay more than 15 minutes each time). Individuals
attending or assisting at a one-time event with no supervised
contact with children are not considered volunteers.
- School Activity Volunteer * - requires fingerprints
Prior to volunteering in a school activity, must obtain an
Activity Supervisor Clearance Certificate (ASCC) from the
Commission on Teacher Credentialing (California Assembly Bill
346). Requires fingerprints and online application for
ASCC (all associated expenses are to be paid by the volunteer).
- Other Volunteer Assignments Requiring Fingerprints
- Volunteering over 16 hours per week in a
State Preschool and volunteer is not related to
a child in the classroom
- Tutoring/mentoring outside classroom or
supervised school setting
- Attending or chaperoning overnight
school-sponsored trip (excludes high school grad
- Transporting students in a private vehicle
- Student observation as part of a formal
teacher preparation program
- Any volunteer activity where there is a
possibility of unsupervised contact with
* School Activity Volunteer assignments identified on Schedule C:
- Academic Decathlon Coach
- Academic Pentathlon Coach
- Advanced Placement Coordinator
- ASB Advisor
- Assistant Academic Decathlon Coach
- Assistant Band Director
- Assistant Coach
- Assistant Dance Competition Team Advisor
- Assistant Mock Trial Coach
- Assistant Musical Director
- Assistant Pentathlon Coach
- Assistant Pep Squad Advisor
- Band Director
- Dance Competition Team Advisor
- Department Chairperson
- Drama Director
- Drill Team Advisor
- Head Coach
- Intramural Activities Coordinator
- Intramural Director
- Leadership Teams
- Mock Trial Coordinator
- Musical Director
- Newspaper Advisor
- Pep Squad Advisor (Fall-Winter)
- Performing Band Director
- Speech and Debate Coach
- Summer School ASB Advisor
- Tall Flags Advisor
- Vocal Director
- Weight Room Supervisor
- Yearbook Advisor
- Yearbook/Newspaper Advisor